Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's a race war

This story is a doozy. I work from home so I see and hear everything that goes on in our neighborhood. I happened to be at my desk when I hear "You cannot park here. I'm saving this spot for a friend." Keep in mind that we live in a section of the city with very little permitted parking so it's a free for all every morning with the day workers and hearing arguments over parking is a daily routine. My problem is my memory when it involves high stress affairs becomes nearly photographic. Here is how the conversation went down after I looked out the window and noticed that initial quote came from TD.

Commuter (It's important to note that she is Jamaican): "What are you talking about? I can park there. You have no right to stand in a parking spot."

TD: "I'm saving it for a friend. She'll be here soon."

Commuter: "Can you please move so I can park"

TD: "Leave and go back to where you came from."

Commuter (obviously incensed over the racial overtone): )U#()IDIWDIHWDIOJDIOHDIOHDIHHBN#IHN! Seriously she was speaking so fast and was so upset that I couldn't comprehend a thing, especially with her accent.

TDA (Yes he entered the fray): "GO BACK TO AFRICA!"

Commuter: AKHHAJHSHQHSHHAHHAHA^!^&^&^@T^&@&&@&*@

TDA:
"GO BACK TO AFRICA!"

TD: "Just leave"

TDA:
"GO BACK TO AFRICA!"

TD: "Do you live here? No? Well I do. I have rights because I live here."

Commuter: "Well now I know where you live"

TDA: "Call the cops!!!! She threatened you. Call the cops!!!"

TD: "I'm going to call the police you better leave."

The commuter begins to drive off and then you get this...

TDA:
"GO BACK TO AFRICA!"

The commuter turns around, being unable to swallow any pride at this point and comes back.

TDA: "We called the cops I have your license plate number"

The commuter leaves. Enter Boston Police.

TD: "I was just parking my car and this woman got upset saying it was her space and she started threatening me."

TDA: "I wrote down her license plate number."

Police Officer: "That's not a valid MA license plate number. It is short one character."

TDA: "Yes it is! I wrote it down! That's the number!"

Police Officer: "Sir, trust me it's not valid. I'll check. Hold on. Nope not it."

TD (After heading inside for something): "Did they get the information"

TDA: "No. Her plate wasn't valid."

Police Officer: "Noooo. You wrote the wrong information down. You were short one character."

TD (Shoots devil eyes at TDA. Part of the lore of why he is called Tweedle Dumb Ass).

I am mad at myself for not stepping outside to issue a witness statement and for not recording the incident. I don't know why I froze. It is now a huge regret.

No comments: